Press release no. 27/19 of May 21, 2019
2019 European Election: media statements and schedule of the Federal Returning Officer
WIESBADEN/BERLIN – The Federal Returning Officer will again offer a comprehensive service for the media on 26 May 2019, the day of the European election. There will be two media statements of the Federal Returning Officer in the Western Lobby on the Plenary Chamber Level of the German Bundestag in Berlin.
- At around 3.30 p.m. on election day (26 May), the Federal Returning Officer will announce the “intermediate result of the voter turnout by 2 p.m. on election day”.
- The official provisional result is expected to be known in the early morning hours of 27 May. Once established, the result will immediately be disseminated in a press release and announced by the Federal Returning Officer. In addition, detailed results will be available on the website of the Federal Returning Officer. If media professionals plan to use broadcasting technology, previous coordination with the Press Office of the Federal Returning Officer is recommended.
Please note: Media representatives will require general accreditation to report from the Reichstag building. More detailed information is available at: http://www.bundestag.de/presse/akkreditierung/index.html
Federal President will meet Federal Returning Officer on election day - visit to polling stations
The Federal President, accompanied by the Federal Returning Officer and the Berlin Land Returning Officer, Dr. Petra Michaelis, will cast his vote at Erich-Kästner-Grundschule, Bachstelzenweg 2-8, 14195 Berlin (Dahlem), at 10.30 a.m. on election day. After that and a media statement by the Federal President, the Federal Returning Officer will thank the electoral board members of the polling station at Erich-Kästner-Grundschule as representatives of all electoral boards all over Germany for their voluntary work. Afterwards the Federal Returning Officer will also be available for media interviews.
Please note: The meeting with the Federal President is subject to accreditation.
- The deadline for accreditation ends on Thursday, 23 May 2019, at noon (12.00 p.m.).
- Journalists are asked to register with Bezirkswahlamt Steglitz-Zehlendorf, stating their name, surname, date of birth, place of birth and the media they represent. Your contact is Marcus Hollmann, e-mail: email@example.com, tel: +49 30 90299-4100.
- The school doors will be opened for the media representatives from 9.30 to 10.00 a.m. on election day.
- Accreditations valid for the year which have been issued by the Federal Government Press and Information Office will NOT be accepted.
After the above meeting, the Federal Returning Officer, accompanied by the Land Returning Officer of Brandenburg, Mr. Bruno Küpper, will visit the polling station at Schule des Zweiten Bildungsweges „Heinrich von Kleist“, Friedrich-Ebert-Straße 17, 14467 Potsdam, at 12.30 p.m.
The Press Office of the Federal Returning Officer may be contacted:
- in Wiesbaden until 24 May and from 27 May 2019
tel: +49 611 75-3444
fax: +49 611 75-3976
- in Berlin on 25 and 26 May 2019
(until the provisional result has been announced presumably in the early morning hours of 27 May 2019)
tel: +49 30 227-40008
mobile: +49 151 50 43 41 06
fax: +49 30 227-46003
Interviews can be arranged – provided that the Federal Returning Officer and his representative are available and after checking with the press officer who will be present – in the Western Lobby of the Reichstag building until 6 p.m. on election day. It is necessary to fix an appointment for this in time by calling one of the above telephone numbers.
For further information:
Office of the Federal Returning Officer
tel: +49 611 75-3444